Wednesday, October 17, 2007

daisies, newsies, zombies

* Look, I'm not going to beg you to watch Pushing Daisies at 7pm on Wednesday on ABC. I don't have a TiVo or DVR so I actually have to make a point to be home by 7pm on Wednesday to watch this show. I'm having a friendly argument with Dan about whether or not the story-telling on this show is moving too fast. He thinks it is. I don't think it is. My theory is that series creator Bryan Fuller is anticipating getting canceled after one season, so he needs to cram all the important story-telling into the first 18 episodes. I have seen enough TV shows canceled after one season (Freaks and Geeks, Firefly, Wonderfalls [technically canceled by Fox after 4 episodes, but a full season was filmed and then released on DVD]) to know that a very imaginative TV show has to anticipate premature cancellation. Where it goes from there, we shall see. By the way, Swoozie Kurtz cracks my shit up any time the story diverts to Chuck's aunts.

* I know I've hit the big time when my old high school newspaper wants to interview me. I'm running a couple playwriting workshops at New Trier High School's Literary Festival on November 2.

A head's-up from my sister Amanda who turned me on to BoingBoing.net today (I can't believe I haven't been visiting that site every 10 minutes til today). Here's another gem from them, courtesy of Average Jane Crafter, in time for Halloween. Zombie embroidery. Take a vintage embroidery transfer and Zombie-it-up. (Tif: next Crafty Ladies project?)