Monday, October 15, 2007

today's episode: impromptu corporate sponsorship of the arts

The supervisor for my temp gig took today off. I completed the day's task efficiently and there was nobody to give me more work. You temp long enough, the universe is going to drop one of these free-swim days in your lap.

This is how it goes; the age-old story: You report to one supervisor in a large office. Nobody else knows or cares what you're doing there. They know you belong there as a transient with typing and computer skills. They assume you've been taken care of. Like, say, when your friend goes out of town. You just assume this friend has made arrangements for her pet cat. But perhaps the cat is pooping all over the floor? Who knows? Who cares? The cat is not their responsibility.

I didn't poop on the floor. I haven't. I won't. Not yet.

I doubt anyone knows my name, except the other temp who started with me. I like her. She's temped long enough to know that in the end, everyone is replaceable. That sounds bleak. It's not. It's liberating to the professional artist/temp.

Today I considered myself "on call" for anybody who happened to need my mad office skills.

Nobody needed my mad office skills. Don't they know I got mad office skills? Believe.

And the temp gig? It's not a bad gig as far as temp gigs go. I KNOW bad temp gigs. Assembling name-badges in a windowless, unventilated, fluorescent-lit storage room that was not intended to be occupied by a human for 8 hours? Bad temp gig.

I'm not complaining.

The coffee's pretty good. I've got an incredible view of the Chicago River -- I'll show you some time. I'm enjoying the mile walk between the train and the office, even though I got tricked by a quarter glued to the sidewalk along Wacker Drive. Good one.

The company doesn't block Internet radio like one company I worked for used to do. That was awful. [Repetitive task + silence = insanity]

And on a day like today, when the supervisor goes AWOL, writing plays on the Microsoft Notepad looks surprisingly like "work" work. It is work. Maybe work that is not appreciated at work in the American workforce. It's not building cars, or fixing plumbing, or processing bills. Maybe it's not work that's appreciated by 99% of the people in this country. Maybe it's more like 99.93%.

That's okay. I like it anyway.