Saturday, July 12, 2008

photo 2: budacki's on damen

What defines greatness in a hot dog stand? Ask a few questions.

1. Can you smell the grease from two blocks away (at least)?

2. Does it exude an effortless "I Can't Believe This Place Passed A Health Inspection" charm?

3. Are there warped picnic tables in the parking lot?

4. Are the employees sweating like a can of cold soda on a 100 degree day?

5. Do you walk away from your dining experience thinking: "That was delicious, and I look forward to catching up on my reading as I spend quality time sitting on the toilet later today."

Budacki's will fill any hole in your heart with a caulk of nitrates and grease. I don't eat here very much, but when I do, boy oh boy (see #5)! You can't get French fries at Budacki's. You get Pomme Frites. Check out the sign: clearly the love child of a circus clown and French bistro. The restaurant's exterior makes a cameo in the movie I Want Someone To Eat Cheese With, a sometimes funny but mostly bland Rom-Com starring Jeff Garlin, Sarah Silverman, a who's who of Chicago talent and a where's where of Chicago locations. In a sad sign of our economic times, Budacki's raised the price of its 2 dogs, fries, and a can of soda combo from $3.75 to $4.00; if you were counting on using that quarter in change for the parking meter, forget it.