Sunday, October 19, 2008

ten cent night mix CD

I like CD mixes. I like making them and I like receiving them. Not in lieu of a legitimate gift, like, "happy birthday/merry Christmas, I made you a mix!" Cheap bastard. But as a supplement or a bonus or a just because. I made a mix for some folks involved with Ten Cent Night. Music that feels like the play. It's very country, with a dash of folk, and some modern alt-country. I dislike the term "alt-country," but there it is.

I would have included Tammy Wynette's "Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad" on the mix if I had it on CD. Tammy makes female submission so toe-tappingly delightful! I oughta dislike the song on principle, but I'm not going to lie: I learned how to play it on my guitar. The best part about this video is Tammy Wynette sings this song with her daughter.



And here's the track listing for the Ten Cent Night mix CD I made. The play closes October 26, so you got one more weekend to see it if you wanna see it. Thanks to folks who've made the trip to the Chicago/Milwaukee/Ogden intersection to check out the play at Chicago Dramatists.

1. LUCINDA WILLIAMS – Can’t Let Go
2. OLD 97’S – W. TX Teardrops
3. FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE – Hung Up On You
4. STEVE GOODMAN – City of New Orleans
5. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN – Old Dan Tucker
6. LORETTA LYNN – Fist City (FYI, this is the best song ever written about a woman who wants to punch another woman in the face)
7. DWIGHT YOAKAM – I’d Avoid Me Too
8. JOE NICHOLS & RHONDA VINCENT – Cash On The Barrelhead
9. THE LITTLE WILLIES – It’s Not You, It’s Me
10. NEKO CASE – Thanks A Lot
11. MARTI BROM – This Is Love, Not Liquor
12. PATSY CLINE – Back in Baby’s Arms
13. ERNEST TUBB – Drivin’ Nails In My Coffin
14. WILCO – Jesus, etc
15. THE MARSHALL TUCKER BAND – Heard It In A Love Song
16. ALISON KRAUSS – I Will
17. CARL SMITH – Loose Talk
18. JIM CROCE – I’ll Have To Say I Love You In A Song
19. THE FLATLANDERS – One Road More
20. TOM WAITS – Old Shoes