Wednesday, November 12, 2008

books to read by the fire (no fireplace? set something on fire and read by its flickery light [before the smoke detector goes off])

Thank you for your novel recommendations! I went to the Wilmette Library on Monday and struck out in my search for a few of the recommended titles ("Material Checked Out" D'oh!). I'll give the Chicago libraries a try soon. I had been up in Wilmette for a dentist appointment, the dentist I've been seeing since junior high. My mom received a phone call from his office saying my dental records were about to be banished to the dungeon because I hadn't been back in awhile. My mom being my mom spared my dental records and made an appointment for me to get my teeth cleaned. Oh Fine! The first few minutes of getting plaque scraped off my gum line is a little hair-raising, but then I start tasting blood and my mind wanders. Look, I keep a clean mouth! Brush, floss, Listerine! That plaque is the stuff of life and it's been scraped away. I walked away from the chair with no decay, no cavities. I got new X-rays taken, so I have to refrain from biting anyone because those pics can be used as evidence in court.

Wait, I was talking about books.

I like bookstores that tack hand-written employee recommendation cards to the bookshelves. So here are Chainsaw Calligraphy reader recommendations. I can't vouch for anybody's personal taste, but if you're looking for something to read, here's a list to chew on. I'll chew on it with my clean teeth.

Tony recommends:
Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Betsy recommends:
Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Secret History by Donna Tartt

David recommends:
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
(Geek Love is one of my favorites too)

Scott recommends:
Time and Again by Jack Finney
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth
(I did read your copy of Time and Again. When we moved out of our apartment, I considered "accidentally" mixing it up with my books so I could take it with me)

Paul R recommends:
Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton
Martin Eden by Jack London

Joe J recommends:
World War Z by Max Brooks
American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Anonymous recommends:
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Eric Pf recommends:
Like a Hole in the Head by Jen Banbury
Towelhead by Alicia Erian
King Dork by Frank Portman
Salterton Trilogy by Robertson Davies
The Short Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Alexis D recommends:
Stoner by John Williams

Sarah K recommends:
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Eric Z recommends:
The Human Stain by Philip Roth

Losi recommends:
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon

Anthony recommends:
The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass