Friday, November 07, 2008

I don't dayjob [verb] on Friday, so I'm not usually downtown on Friday. But I am a bonehead and forgot to sign and deliver a contract in a timely manner, so I had to go downtown to drop it off. I have a habit of putting important papers on my desk and then piling less important stuff on top of it and then thinking the important thing has been taken care of (the unimportant stuff is frequently half-completed Red Eye sudoku puzzles because my Metra ride is not long enough to complete a puzzle, or at least that's what I tell myself so I don't feel so stupid when I'm owned by a one-star sudoku). My disappearing stuff-on-my-desk problem is kin to the way I respond to e-mails in my head, and then somebody follows up with "I never heard back from you about such and such." And I'm all, "I responded to you in my head."

On my Friday downtown, I ran into an old friend from high school at the corner of Dearborn & Randolph.

I bought a tall mocha at Starbucks.

And took some pictures.

Pigeons in Daley Plaza take a break from pecking at garbage to pay their respects to dead soldiers. I can't look at an Eternal Flame without bustin' out a chorus of The Bangles "Eternal Flame"



Starbucks unleashed their red Xmas cups after Halloween and now this.

New banners around City Hall. Mayor Daley is very excited (earmarks!!! "overhead projector" for the planetarium!!! olympics 2016!!!)

A lot of people ask me, "Hey Marisa, where can I buy a pair of earrings made with metal so cheap it will irritate my earlobes until they drip with pus?" I send them to Claire's in the Ogilvie Transportation Center. I don't understand why there is a Claire's in the Metra station as I don't figure too many 13 year old girls are commuting downtown for their 9 to 5. My photo doesn't do justice to the pink-ness of this store. It is very pink. My retinas fizzed and now I am blind.